Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Why we need to manage architectural projects

Everyone has an agenda. If we don't manage the projects, they may be managed by individual interests like the following.

  1. "I already know what I'm going to do. Just tell me when to start."
  2. "I'm here to draw. I'm not interested in any program information."
  3. "I'm only going to do what I'm told, nothing else."
  4. "Finally, a chance to demonstrate my design prowess!"
  5. "I think we should use those windows that were presented to us at the last Lunch-n-Learn. Wasn't that a great tart?"
  6. "This is not a linear process. It takes as long as it takes."
  7. "I'm not going to let Jim ruin another project."
  8. "We never meet the budget, and we never finish on time. It's not my fault. That's just the way it is. Why can't you get that?"
  9. "Someone has to tell the owner to butt out. We already know what they need."
  10. "I don't mind attending a few meetings, but I'm not actually going to start doing any engineering work until I know the architect has stopped screwing around with the plan. I'm not getting enough fee to spend engineering time on design refinements."
  11. "We're going to do the whole project with our standard details."
  12. "Hey! It will be really cool if we tilt the walls over like this so they look like a roof but will still be made of wall materials. I wonder if it will keep the water out. Maybe it won't rain much. We can specify really good sealant. Maybe it will be okay this time."
  13. "Green? I'm not going to say it in these words out loud, but I refuse to be held accountable for any guinea pig design experiments or systems. Therefore, I'm going to do exactly the same thing I've done for the last 20 years. It's all going to be off the shelf. I don't want any call-backs on this project. That's what I call efficiency."
  14. "I will be calling all the shots. Period."

No comments:

Post a Comment